- Travel, tourism and hospitality industries together have emerged as one of the key sectors driving growth of Service Sector in India.
- Globalization has increased inward and outward travels for business purposes, tours & leisure trips.
- NRI visits to the home country have also increased.
- There are greater numbers of Indians travelling to domestic destinations than before. Such travels are for pilgrimages, businesses and leisure.
- Strong growth in per capita income, rising young population coupled with changing lifestyles are leading to greater expenditure on leisure travelling and related services.
- Opportunities for Indian travel, tourism & hospitality industry are reflected in projections for 2019. The demand for travel and tourism in India is expected to grow by 8.2 per cent between 2010 and 2019. This will place India at the third position in the world.
- It is also learnt that the Industry will be the second largest employer in the world by 2019. This Industry is estimated to attract capital investment worth U.S. $ 94.5 billion by 2019.The above projections imply huge scope of corporate tie-ups.
- PLACON feels that this opportunity will also bring some challenges. One will be of managing the negative impact of foreign tourist culture and habits on the local area communities.
- There will be a need for changing the perspective and attitude of travel agents, transport owners, tourist guides and small traders towards tourists. Local self governments and their officials will also need similar change.
- According to PLACON, special infrastructure will be required for meeting the needs and expectations of travelers and tourists under Medical Tourism, Eco Tourism and Coastal Area Tourism.
PLACON can help entrepreneurs, industrialists and governments in the following ways
- Preparation of Feasibility studies
- Studies into government policies and strategies.
- Preparation of strategic business plans.
- Development of project monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Carrying out training need assessments, impact assessments and development of training programs for government officials, travel agencies, tour operators and guides.